Thursday, November 8, 2007


The Pulitzer Prize is regarded as the highest honor in print journalism, literary achievements, and musical composition. It is administered by Columbia University in New York City. The prize was established by Joseph Pulitzer, a Hungarian-American journalist and newspaper publisher, who left money to Columbia University upon his death in 1911. The first Pulitzer Prizes were awarded on June 4, 1917. The Pulitzer Prize for Photography was first awarded in 1942. In 1968, it was split into two separate prizes: the Pulitzer Prize for Feature Photography and the Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography (now called the Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Photography).
This blog is dedicated for collecting and presenting the best of photographs, which have some significance. My desire to learn about photos of journalistic significance was triggered by a Pulitzer prize winning photo. A photo of a vulture waiting to feed on a baby girl reduced to skin and bones. You might have seen that one. I found it as the last slide in a powerpoint presentation depicting famine. I had seen that before but when I saw that at that time, something struck me. I became curious about the photo... about the story it has to tell. By the time I finished my research on that, this photography bug has bitten me. Its not about those cute photos we find all the way. Its about photos that talk. They talk about almost eveything. Join me in listening to them. The World's Album starts here...
NB: Please note that the photographs presented here may be copyrighted by the respective photographers or their associates. They are presented here for information purpose only, which I believe falls under fair use.

No comments: